Tuesday, December 02, 2008

5 books...it shall be done

So I'm home recovering from surgery which means I have ample amounts of time to reach my five book goal this week. One book down, four to go.

I finished Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict by Laura Viera Rigler earlier today. The basic plot is as follows: Modern day woman obsessed with Jane Austen wakes up in the early 19th century in another woman's body and proceeds to reconcile her original modern self with the self she is inhabiting. I'm not quite sure why I kept reading it, since I found some it it to be implausible. Wouldn't modern speech be somewhat of a problem in Jane Austen's time? Here is one that bugged me: "I love to party." Would this have been something a person of that time period would have uttered? I'm not sure. Maybe I'm being too picky. The concept of switching identities is a great concept for a novel, but when it falls flat, it's not so great.

I went to the library shortly after to find some reading inspiration. There is a pile of books here at home, but I am not in the mood for any of them. I checked out five books from the library instead:

The Art Thief by Noah Charney
The Romanov Bride by Robert Alexander
Versailles by Kathryn Davis
A Blind Man Can See How Much I Love You: Stories by Amy Bloom
Petite Anglaise: In Paris.In Love. In Trouble: A True Story by Catherine Sanderson

I began Perfect From Now On: How Indie Rock Saved My Live by John Sellers, but this might be one to give up on...for now at least.

No comments: