Thursday, May 22, 2008

1% Well Read Challenge

My life has finally calmed down in this neck of the woods. All is now settled and peaceful which leaves me with more time to read. I haven't been reading as much as in previous years but I hope to change that. Joining another challenge is another way to get me in the spirit of reading. Admittedly I have not been doing so well with my other challenges but I have decided to join the 1% Well Read Challenge based on the list 1001 Books to Read Before You Die. I downloaded the Excel sheet and I am ashamed to say I have only read 4.2% of the list. I know I won't be able to read the entire list but I would like to be able to say one day that I've read 20% of the list. To help me with my goal I will embark on this challenge. These are the books I've selected:

1. Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen
2. The Waves by Virginia Woolf
3. The Joke by Milan Kundera
4. Good Morning, Midnight by Jean Rhys
5. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
6. The Rainbow by D.H. Lawrence
7. The Good Soldier by Ford Madox Ford
8. The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton
9. Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy
10. The Robber Bride by Margaret Atwood

I've recently read two of the books from the 1001 books list but I won't count them as part of the challenge since I read them prior to joining the challenge. I read Persuasion by Jane Austen and Torrents of Spring by Ivan Turgenev. I loved both novels and hope to write about them soon when I've gathered my thoughts together. Happy reading for now!

1 comment:

Juliann in WA said...

good list - it is fun to look at the whole list and try to choose 10 go read. good luck