Sunday, January 13, 2008

Is there such a thing as too many books?

I was asking myself this question as I cataloged my books last week on Goodreads and found that I own 955 books! I had an idea I owned that many books but when I look at my bookcases it seems like I have a small collection. I find myself always wanting more books for my collection knowing that I have not read half of the books I own. Working at a bookstore for six years contributed to most of my collection as I have not been buying as much since I stopped working there. With that said I have decided to join the TBR challenge to help make a dent in my unread books. These are the books I've selected to read from my shelves:

  1. The Mysteries of Udolpho by Ann Radcliffe
  2. Hopscotch by Julio Cortazar
  3. Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy
  4. Kafka was the Rage by Anatole Broyard
  5. Everybody was so Young by Amanda Vaill
  6. The Rainbow by D.H. Lawrence
  7. The Bookshop by Penelope Fitzgerald
  8. The Good Soldier by Ford Madox Ford
  9. If on a Winter's Night a Traveller by Italo Calvino
  10. Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
  11. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
  12. Atonement by Ian McEwan

The alternates:

  1. The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton
  2. Mr. Muo's Travelling Couch by Dai Sijie
  3. Come to Me by Amy Bloom
  4. The Mandarins by Simone de Beauvoir
  5. Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  6. What I Loved by Siri Hustvedt
  7. To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf
  8. The Feast of Love by Charles Baxter

I'm also thinking of joining another challenge but I may just stick to the two I've joined. Happy reading!

No comments: