Friday, December 21, 2007

Favorite Songs of 2007

It's almost the end of the year and all of the best of music lists are coming out. Music was a big part of my life this year, bigger than it has been in past years. A lot of really great music was released this year that was not played on mainstream radio and it's a shame that some of these artists don't get the attention they deserve. The music industry is suffering because major labels don't know how to take risks. Everything has become so homogenized on mainstream radio. It's a sad state of affairs.

I've discovered so many great artists this year and I want to share some of my favorite songs from 2007. Some songs on the list didn't come out this year but they were in heavy rotation on my Ipod. Here's to my favorite songs this year...in no particular order:

Young Folks by Peter, Bjorn and John on Writer's Block
Explosions by The Mary Onettes on The Mary Onettes
No Conclusions by Of Montreal on Icons, Abstract Thee
Stiff Kittens by Blaqk Audio on Cexcells
Tongue Tied by The Hong Kong on Slow Motion Gets Around
Take Me to the Riot by Stars on In Our Bedroom After the War
Mer du Japon by Air on Pocket Symphony
Champion by Professor Murder on Professor Murder Rides the Subway
The Opposite of Hallelujah by Jens Lekmen on Night Falls Over Kortedala
Too Young by Phoenix on United
You!Me!Dancing! by Los Campesinos! on Sticking Fingers into Sockets
Patty Lee by Les Savy Fav on Let's Stay Friends
Keep the Care Running by The Arcade Fire on Neon Bible
Normandie by Shout Out Lounds on Our Ill Wills
Knights by Minus the Bear on Planet of Ice
Careless Whisper as covered by The Gossip
Heartbeats by The Knife on Deep Cuts
Hearts on Fire by Cut Copy
Silver Lining by Rilo Kiley on Under the Blacklight
Your Kisses are Wasted on Me by The Pipettes on We are the Pipettes
Boyz by M.I.A. on Kala
Broken English by Scratch Massive on the Broken English Soundtrack
All My Friends by LCD Soundsystem on Sounds of Silver
Lloyd, I'm Ready to be Heartbroken by Camera Obscura on Let's Get Out of this Country
1,2,3,4 by Feist on The Reminder
D.A.N.C.E by Justice on Cross
He Can Only Hold Her by Amy Winehouse on Back to Black
It's a Fact-Printed Stained by Matt and Kim on Self titled
Sea of Love by Cat Power on The Covers Record
Hospital Beds by Cold War Kids on Robbers and Cowards
If You Were Here by Cary Brothers on Who You Are

There are a lot of great albums that came out this year that I have not been able to get my hands on yet. The album I'm really excited about getting is Radiohead's In Rainbows, which would explain the omission of this great band from my year end music list. I know I could have purchased it for any price on their website but I prefer having it in my hands. It comes out on cd January 1st. I can't wait!

1 comment:

Andi said...

Yay! More music for me to explore. Thanks for a great list!